We are the Children’s Immigration Law Academy (CILA), an expert legal resource center created by the American Bar Association (ABA). CILA builds capacity for those working to advance the rights of children seeking protection through trainings, technical assistance, and collaboration.
CILA serves both legal service providers and pro bono attorneys who are representing children in immigration-related proceedings in Texas. CILA began operations in late 2015 and to date, CILA staff have hosted 45 trainings and responded to 350 requests for technical assistance on cases. CILA's services include:
- •Conducting web-based and live trainings;
- •Providing technical assistance on specific cases and issues;
- •Maintaining an online platform for sharing and accessing immigration legal resources related to unaccompanied children;
- •Hosting working groups and a listserv on Special Immigrant Juvenile status (SIJS) and children’s asylum cases; and
- •Providing specialized training to legal service providers and volunteers at Emergency Reception Centers for unaccompanied children nationwide.
Through our work, we hope to ensure more children are represented and to provide the resources and expertise needed to support those who endeavor to represent them.